When I imagine my future home all I think of is white, white, and more white. I think it looks so polished, clean, and luxurious, like you're permanently living in a hotel room with a big, plush duvet and crisp white sheets. The colour white brings so much light into a room and contributes to the overall openness, making it seem so much bigger than it really is. My room is painted light grey with white bedding and silver accents, and every when I'm in it I feel like I'm at the spa, it gives me a sense of organization and relaxation. I like everything to be plain, and I know that may seem boring, but it allows me to concentrate on other things, instead of the bright pink walls staring me in the face.
Though I appreciate a white room, I also love a hint of character, especially something wooden because it's natural and adds an earthy texture.
White balances out the darkness associated with wood and together they make a room welcoming and warm. Adding a textured material is also something I'm obsessed with especially a fur rug. Ikea has both a faux and real sheep skin rug that you can place on the floor, over a chair, or on the end of a bed. Another great way to add texture is a throw like this beautiful chunky cable knit throw from the Pottery Barn.
Since I'm moving out at the end of this month to a dorm room at SFU, I tried my best to make a mini version of my room at home by purchasing this white duvet cover set, the faux sheepskin rug I mentioned above, two of these rugs in beige (all from Ikea), and a similar throw from Marshall's. As you can probably tell Ikea has been a god send for dorm room shopping and will probably play a similar role when I move into my own place.
The best part about the colour white is you can have pretty much any accent colour you want, this includes hardware in bathrooms and kitchens. You can choose silver or gold and change them at any time to transform the look, going from a modern to an antique/vintage style. Just like a purse, the colour of hardware makes all the difference. It's also nice to have good lighting in a bathroom, especially a white one, because it will make you feel refreshed on those days where you just want to sleep forever. Why do you think spas are white?
A claw foot tub extends the vintage theme.
I love the varying flow of the subway tiles in the shower.
I can't wait until the day I can design my own home and I love the fact white will never go out of style, all you need to do is change up the accents every one in a while. I find that our generation appreciates simplicity more so than our parents/grandparents, my Mom and Aunty are obsessed with bling and I really could care less for it! (I'll make an exception for the giant rock I will one day have on my ring finger)
♡Emma





No comments:
Post a Comment