Sunday, 17 August 2014

Oatmeal Obsession

Over the past year I have been making an effort to eat a lot healthier, after realizing how great it makes me feel.  So while experimenting with various healthy and wholesome breakfasts, I came to a conclusion that oatmeal was the best of the best. 

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it kick starts your metabolism and provides you with energy to begin your day.  It should consist of a protein, a healthy fat, and carbs for optimum energy and benefits.  

I don't understand how people can skip breakfast, I feel so sluggish if I don't eat in the morning and it ruins the rest of my day, in fact I don't think I have ever skipped breakfast in my entire life, unless I sleep in right until lunch.  This is what I have for breakfast most days...



Recipe:

For the oatmeal:

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1 tablespoon chia seeds
2-3 cups water (I don't really measure)

Mix together and then place in the microwave for 2 minutes, take out, stir, and then microwave for another 1-2 minutes until it reaches a desire texture.

For the toppings:

1 banana
1 handful blueberries
1/2 nectarine
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter

First pour honey all over the top and then add all the other toppings.

Enjoy :)

There really is no right or wrong toppings, I always just throw in whatever fruit I can find, however this combination is my favourite.  You can also make the oatmeal with any kind of milk and mix in things like cocoa powder, protein powder etc.

You can also try adding unsweetened shredded coconut, nuts, and dark chocolate chips.  That's what I love most about oatmeal, there are so many different flavour combinations, it will keep you full, and it's something that's nice and warm to wake up to in the morning.  If you live somewhere warm you can try overnight oats which are stored in the fridge overnight and eaten cold in the morning, this is a really good tutorial by one of my favourite instagrammers marensdelights.



No comments:

Post a Comment