Sunday, 9 November 2014

The Perfect Coat

So now that it's November and freaking cold outside (well not that cold, but my university is on a mountain so there is a noticeable temperature difference) i'm finding myself piling on jackets, sweaters, scarves, and occasionally gloves.  Everyone knows it always rains in Vancouver so I basically live in my wellies, and yes you guessed it I own Hunters, to be honest I sometimes wished I owned the shorter ones I find the tall ones to be so clunky and restricting.  Last week I made the mistake of trying to survive in my runners only to end up with cold and wet feet by the end of the day...bad idea.

The fall and winter are seasons where you have no choice but to layer, so why not make the most of it when it comes to how you dress.  For months I have been searching for the perfect coat but I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted, all I knew was that it had to be grey or black (typical) and wool.  After looking online at the usual, Forever 21, H & M, Zara etc, I saw a few that caught my eye, but nothing that made a lasting impression.  I knew I was going to have to search further to find exactly what I was looking for, realistically I should have been studying instead of online shopping, but I hadn't been to a mall in ages so I had to get my fix.

I'm obsessed with Kendall Jenner's style, she always looks flawless, and during NYFW her outfits were to die for, unfortunately the only thing I could afford that she owns is most likely a hair tie, yes that is a massive exaggeration but you get the point.  The one outfit of hers I think I've stared at more than my textbooks (just kidding i'm working my ass off) is this all black ensemble consisting of this AllSaints coat, these Helmut Lang leggings, and these Celine boots.


I am absolutely obsessed with this coat and I've been searching high and low for a look alike that's affordable.  The funnel neck and asymmetric hem make it so unique and the contrast of the wool body and leather levees is simply stunning.  This coat would look gorgeous with anything, the colour is so versatile.  I don't think i've ever been on a brands website and loved every single item they sell,  I would buy one of everything, but my name isn't Kendall Jenner and I was not born into a multi million dollar family called the Kardashians.

I knew this coat was out of my price range and I was having such a hard time finding something even remotely similar to it. But on Friday afternoon I went shopping with my mom and came across this beauty in Danier Leather.  I had just walked out of Sephora and was not expecting to spend a ton of money that day but as soon as I saw this coat I knew I had to try it on.  It came in black and grey and both colours looked amazing but you can never go wrong with black it will always be classy.  I've never been one to spend so much on a single article of clothing, but it was on sale, 100 percent wool, and the sleeves were lamb leather (I know, i'm a terrible person).  I couldn't believe how soft it felt and I knew it would keep me warm.  At first I felt guilty about buying it but then I realized you have to treat yourself every now and then,  I usually save my money and i've been working so hard at school so I thought, why not? The girl helping me said the jacket was one of their best sellers and she was even going to buy it for herself before they were all gone.

As I get older i've learned that you get what you pay for.  If you're going to spend $50 dollars on a coat, chances are it will only last you a season or two before it starts pilling or threads start coming loose, the same goes for shoes and jeans.  But it's also important to realize that you should be selective when choosing what you're going to spend the most on, ensuring that it's something that will never go out of style.


Emma


No comments:

Post a Comment